If you are a student or qualified counsellor looking for a valued workplace, we would love to hear from you!
Looking for a supportive and collaborative counselling student placement in a setting in which you are valued and supported to grow? If you are a trainee counsellor, on a Counselling or Psychotherapy Diploma and/ or Degree looking for a student placement and can commit to a minimum of 120 client hours then we’d love to hear from you.
If you are a student trainee counsellor looking for a helping role typically those on a Level 3 Counselling or Psychotherapy course and or first year of a diploma, do not complete the link bottom of this page. Click Below:
What We Offer From a Counselling Placement
- You would be part of a large, established Mental health and emotional wellbeing charity in the centre of the West Midlands.
- You can see up to 6 adult clients per week dependent on your individual circumstances. A minimum of 3 clients are required at KPG.
- You will be offered monthly managerial supervision with the line manager of the service to support your growth as a trainee counsellor.
- You will be part of a wide team of trainee counsellors and have access to peer supervision monthly.
- Opportunities to network with other volunteers and staff
- We can offer a wide Variety of adult clients, 18+ working across a range of different modalities (face to face, online and telephone counselling dependent on your individual circumstances) to clients across the UK.
- All clients are assessed by a qualified senior counsellor to assess suitability. You will attend a handover with the assessor to discuss a plan to work with this individual.
- Clients and trainee counsellors are matched, based on suitability, skills, experience, and availability.
- You will be invited to attend training with KPG, around bereavement grief and loss, withing with suicide and self-harm, risk assessments, incident reporting, mental health first aid, safeguarding and many more. Additional CPD opportunities are offered when required or available.
- Assessment training available when you are a qualified counsellor to support you in working independently after qualifying
What We Expect From You Before Applying:
- To complete an application form (below) in detail, outlining your skills and experience.
- To have been in weekly therapy, completed your personal therapy hours, and to have access to a counsellor if needed to support your training and placement.
- To be signed off by your training centre/ tutor as ‘fit to practice’
- Participate fully in both clinical (external / KPG) and managerial Supervision (with KPG) *if external supervisor is being used please have this in place before the interview
- Be willing to commit to a minimum of 1 year and or 120 client hours.
- To be able to commit to a minimum of three clients per week when appropriate.
- To have access to a computer and a mobile phone.
- To be available to have an informal interview and induction with us.
- To be available to attend training with KPG.
What Have Previous Counselling Trainees Said?
There are many reasons why people choose to join #TeamKPG as a trainee counsellor, some have a personal attachment to KPG, some want to give back to their community or have been recommended our service by another student or their student course.
Due to the nature of our organisation, we also have paid opportunities that frequently come up when you are qualified that you may wish to consider applying for.
If you feel that the Kaleidoscope plus group KPG, is the right counselling placement for you, please click on the link below.
Please note: We do not currently have any more student counsellors placements until after the summer.
We currently have no job openings